Saturday, August 14, 2010

My Girls

At the end of last year I was presented with the opportunity to loop up with my class to 1st grade and little did I know it would be one of the best decisions I ever made!


When the year began I was nervous, but mostly about my new team.  I was excited to work with girls who were all about the same age as me and in the same stage of life.  Chelsea and Megan I already felt like I knew pretty well and felt sure that our teaching styles would mesh well together.  Amy on the other hand I had absolutely no clue about and felt sure that she would hate me from the get go.


The year started and we began to learn each other's quirks, strengths, weaknesses, and most importantly all the things that Amy was "all about" or "not about"!  I never dreamed that the four of us would become the friends that we are today...or that Amy would actually come to love me the way that she has!!


These girls are yet another example of how the Lord knows exactly what I need even when I don't.  He knew how much I would need those girls during that year and I never even had to ask Him.  A father always knows how to take care of his children!


One of the hardest things for me with this Year of Jubilee is having to say good-bye to my team.  I know its not a forever good-bye, but even as I write this tears are flowing from my eyes thinking about not spending every day with them again this year.  And part of it is a pride thing, because I don't want to be replaced by someone else and I don't want to lose their friendship.  I have to trust the Lord though that since He was the one who gave me these girls in the first place that He will be the one to help us sustain this already fabulous friendship.  


So this post is for my girls...Megs, Chelsea, and Amy!


Megs...my little lovebug angel plum!  You make me smile everytime I think about you!  You are one of the most fabulous and effective teachers that I know and it baffles me that you still struggle to know that about yourself.  I remember thinking last year how I wanted to be as good of a teacher as you were someday.  You do an incredible job of knowing your kids and being determined to bring those little strugglers up to where they need to be.  Kids walk out of your room and know that they are loved...even if it was one of those days where you had to be Mean Miss McNamara!  I know you think that you won't be able to make it without me this year...but you couldn't be more wrong!  My prayer this year is that the Lord will open your eyes to all the ways that He has gifted you and designed you so that you are the exact teacher that those kids need this year.  I pray that when you feel down or overwhelmed you will trust that the Lord has you exactly where He wants you and He never makes a mistake.  You have showered me with smiles, hugs, and love this past year and I will never be able to repay you for that.  I love you my Megs!


Chelsea...my little love!  You make me laugh everytime I think about you!  I remember back when you were Valerie's student teacher and would come to my room because we were book buddies.  I barely knew you then and good have never foreseen how the Lord would bless my life with you.  I remember how this past year you would find me in the month of November crying before school because the anniversary of my dad's death was coming up and you would make me talk about it.  The shocking part is that I usually wouldn't have talked about it with someone and for some reason I did with you.  I remember after that that you made sure someone would come by to hug me in the mornings and check on me at the end of the day.  That was the biggest comfort to me during that time.  You have been such a sweet and kind friend to me this past year and I am going to miss you making me laugh more than you know!  You always amazed me at how much you already knew and were capable of as a teacher in only your second year of teaching...just as long as it doesn't involve working on the computer!  You have an amazing ability of making learning fun and building such strong relationships with your kids.  I can't wait to see what this year holds for you as a teacher!  I am going to miss you so much, but look forward to hearing all the funny stories throughout the year.  I love you my Chelsea!


Amy...my friend!  I don't even know where to begin with you!  You are the most unexpected and fabulous gift that I've ever been given by the Lord!  I was terrified of you at the beginning of the year and what you would think about me and if we would really get along.  I don't even know when it was that I finally realized that you did like me and that we were actually friends!  You constantly amaze me and surprise me with the person that you are.  I know that not everyone that meets you or knows you is given the opportunity to get to know the real you and I consider myself lucky to have been given that gift.  I love your fashion sense...I love your "I don't care what other people think" attitude...I love that you are just as passionate about organization as I am...I love what a big soft mushy girl you are on the inside...I love how particular you are about some of the most random things...I love how you will do anything for the people that you love...I love how you don't put up with any of the crap your students try to dish out...I love how disciplined you are...I love you!  There aren't enough words to explain how much you mean to me and how much I will miss seeing you every day.  I love you my Amy!


Girls...I can't wait to see what this year will be like for you!  I look forward to subbing so that I will get the chance to visit with you and you won't have to worry about who's going to get stuck with the annoying sub on the playground!  You can count on me to show up throughout the year with Sonic drinks, to come in mid-morning when one of you gets sick and can't find a sub, to bring you lunch on various days, and to shower you with gifts whenever I feel like it!  I am so proud of each of you and love you very much!


Megs, me, Chelsea (the new Mrs. Coleman), and Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment