Friday, November 19, 2010

It Worked

So if any of you have read the blog and already prayed for me like my previous asked...then THANK YOU!

I tend to be the type of person who doesn’t like to admit when she’s struggling with something because I like to feel like I have it all together for some reason.  Probably has a little to do with my control issues.  Anyways, my counselor has been working on me to fix that and start opening up about struggles and not trying to act like I’m little Miss Perfect.

I opened up to a couple of friends yesterday through e-mails and admitted that I am in fact struggling right now with working at this orphanage.  Yesterday was my first full day on the job and throughout the whole day I was overwhelmed, freaked out, overcome with homesickness, tired, fearful of whether or not I could survive two weeks here, and contemplating if the Lord was right in bringing me to work here.

I won’t go into all the details, but it was an incredibly rough day and left me feeling defeated. 

I took some fancy pills Cobb left me to help me sleep and went to bed early.

I woke up this morning and realized that last night I had a dream with my Poppa and my dad in it.  It was the most real and perfect dream I’ve ever had…and the first one I’ve ever had with both of them in it.  I can still hear their voices in the dream and see their faces. 

Needless to say that left me on the verge of tears before I’d even had breakfast.  So I assumed today would be just as awful as the day before.

Was I sadly mistaken!  Today was so much better.  A lot of it had to do with how the day went, that I knew a little more about what to expect, and I think I just had a little better attitude about it.

I led a station during preschool this morning and it went so well and not nearly as chaotic as I had witnessed the day before.  I practiced letters A-E today with them and they had so much fun.  I even taught all the kids how to walk in a line when they transitioned from each station instead of running around screaming like yesterday.  The Viola Swamp in me took over and I did my best to whip those kids into shape and they did fantastically.

Then for lunch Helen, the volunteer coordinator, came and got me and we took our lunch next door to her aunt’s house who is also the baby cottage director.  We ate lunch over there and sat and visited for about 2 hours.  The aunt is also from Texas and shares my love relationship with Dr. Pepper and even shared one of hers with me…oh JOY!!!

This afternoon from 4-6 was my day to do activities with the preschool/toddlers and when I got back to the cottage I saw that it was water activity day.  The kids were all outside playing on a slip N slide.

There is nothing better to brighten your day than to see 20 little black boys and girls barreling down a little hill in their underwear and then coming up to you with quivering lips because they’re cold…oh be still my heart!

My spirit was crushed last night and tonight is has been restored!  Oh the power of prayer and being vulnerable with others.

So thank you for all your prayers and I beg of you to please continue them!  Thank you to CP for your sweet e-mail and the prayer you typed out…I read it about 5 times before I started my morning.

And now tomorrow I get to go with all the little girls to the director’s house for a tea party…YEAH!!!

And now for a few pictures from today to show you why it was such a better day!




3 comments:

  1. Love your testimony as to God's faithfulness. He is faithful!! Hallelujah!
    Great pictures too.
    You continue to be in my prayers.
    Oh and cooking...I could teach you a few things if you'd like :)
    (((((((Christy))))))
    ~Christy B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Christy!! So glad it was a better day. The boys loved the pics of the kids on the slip-n-slide!! :) The Viola Swamp comment cracked me up;if anyone can get kids into lines w/ bubbles in their mouths, it's you! ;) We are lifting you up today. Hugs!!
    Oh, and I stink at cooking too...but crockpots are a beautiful thing....we'll talk!
    -Amy (and the Sanford crew)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy - it appears that the good Lord is getting you thru each day. I continue to pray for you and enjoy reading about your daily activities. You take care Christy. Deb Bortnem

    ReplyDelete