Sunday, January 23, 2011

Miracle

I love to watch movies…and most all movies!  Except for remakes of old comics or stupid Sci-Fi things dealing with aliens.  


While I like most all movies, I’m a sucker for true stories.  If I’m watching a preview and it starts off by saying, “Based on a true story,” then I automatically give it a thumbs up and make plans to go see it.  There is just something about a true story that tugs at my heart.  It also seems to be that my favorites all revolve around sports…

Remember The Titans
Radio
We Are Marshall
Blind Side
Rudy
Miracle

I cry each and every time I watch Rudy.  When the whole team starts chanting his name and the coach finally gives in and lets him play.  Only for him to stay in for two plays and making a quarterback sack in the last play…I melt. 

Tonight I crawled into bed and put in the movie Miracle into my laptop.  I haven’t seen this in years, but recently saw it on sale at the Target.

I knew already how it would end, but I was still so nervous watching it.  At one point when they come back and beat Sweden in one of the first games of those Olympics, I literally threw my hands in the air and cheered.  Pathetic I know!

Then as they played the game against the Soviets, I was on the edge of my seat.  The tears started flowing as soon as Eruzione went into the game only to score what would ultimately be the winning goal for the USA for that game.  I mean he was the underdog of the underdog team for goodness sake!

My eyes dried up only to let the flood gates be opened once again when the announcer says, “Do you believe in miracles?” right as the final buzzer sounds marking the first time in 20 years that the USA beat the Soviets.

I don’t know why I get so caught up in true stories, but I do.  Maybe its knowing that this is real life and not the made up story lines from Hollywood.  These are stories of triumph through tragedy and proof that sometimes if you want it bad enough dreams do come true.

At the very end of Miracle, Herb Brooks, the coach, goes underneath the stands by himself and throws his hands in the air…then crouches down and has himself a good manly cry.

I don’t know if I’ve ever wanted something as much as he did, but I was envious of that moment when he finally got his dream.

I’m going to go to bed with a smile on my face now…and chances are, knowing me, I’ll watch it again tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment