Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Epic Fail


So yesterday was the day I was scheduled to take my Principal Certification test.  I wanted to get it done sooner rather than later, so I signed up to take it in Houston and then just spend the week at home.

The night before my fever came back and I barely slept and of course woke up feeling like crap.  The fact that I already paid $120 for the test gave me motivation to get up and get ready because I did not want to lose that money and have to pay it a second time.

Of course being the Little Miss Prepared that I am, I headed out there super early.  The test was at noon, but I had to be there at 11:30.  So I got to the U of H campus at 10:30.  I even packed my laptop and a book in my backpack to kill all that extra time since I would be getting to the testing center so early.

Stupid wishful thinking!

Luckily I quickly found the Visitor Center where I could get a parking permit.  I wait in line behind 4 cars and when I get to the window there is a sign that says, “CASH ONLY”…what?  I told the lady I didn’t realize it had to be cash and she said, “Sorry…move along!”  I kept my choice words for her in my head.

I proceed to drive down random streets all around campus looking for a gas station, store, or ATM somewhere and praying that I won’t get lost and not be able to find my way back to the Visitor Center. 

20 minutes later I find a stand alone ATM and get my cash and say, “Thank you Lord.  I’m sorry I was so impatient.  Everything will be fine now.”

Damn wishful thinking!

I go to pull out of the parking lot onto the street that I know takes me straight to the Visitor Center.  2 minutes earlier there was no one on said street…now when its time for me to pull out onto the street there are 30 cars waiting at the red light and absolutely no way for me to get on the street.  So I pull out and go in the opposite direction.

Luckily I have a good sense of direction and am pretty sure I know how I can get back to where I need to be.  I’m speeding doing my best to be time efficient and get to the light where I know I need to turn and what do I see…

NO TURN ON RED

Are you freaking kidding me?  It of course is the one light that stays on red for what seems like 10 minutes.

I finally get to the Visitor Center, get my parking permit, get directions for where to park, and head on my way. 

I wipe the one tear off my cheek because now that I have my permit and know where I’m going I know for sure it will all work out.

Damn *%$#*@ wishful thinking!

I pull into the parking lot and there is NO WHERE to park at all and I’m one of like 20 other cars trying to find a spot.

This continues for the next 40 minutes of me pulling into random parking lots and discovering yet again there is nowhere to park, wipe more tears from my face, and slowly watch the clock in my car inch closer and closer to 11:30.

Finally through teary eyes I notice the clock finally says 11:30.  I’m way on the other side of campus and still driving around.

I admit defeat and call a friend crying and ask if I can come over and hang out at her house for awhile.  Love Robin for just saying, “Come on” with no questions asked.

I cried all the way back to Pasadena…pathetic I know!

I’ve come to the conclusion that they probably shouldn’t certify someone to run a school, if they can’t even figure out a parking lot on their own.  Maybe this is what happens when you get your Masters online!

No comments:

Post a Comment