Sunday, February 6, 2011

Arctic Blast 2011

I’ve always wondered what people in northern states like Minnesota, Illinois, or Maine would say if they watched a Texas news broadcast in the winter time.

When news begins to spread that snow or ice may be making an appearance in the Dallas area…
  • ·      Kids begin getting giddy about the idea of playing in snow
  • ·      Food starts flying off the shelves at local grocery stores
  • ·      Lines start forming at the gas station
  • ·      Teachers start searching for their phone chains in hopes of school getting cancelled


Times like this always crack me up!  News stations spark such an insane fear in people about the upcoming weather and cause them to forget…YOU LIVE IN TEXAS!!  Yes, we will have snow and ice…but its not the end of the world!

It seems that every year there are a couple of days when this mayhem goes on and if you’re lucky school gets cancelled for a day or two….which I personally always loved as a teacher!

Here are some glimpses into Arctic Blasts of the past…

Arctic Blast 2009


I'm thinking this is us lifting our hands in praise to the Lord for the ice???

This was where Cobb and I ventured out to a late movie in hopes that the ice would start falling and school would be cancelled the next day so it didn’t matter if I stayed out past midnight!

Arctic Blast 2010



This was where we woke up to snow, but had to go to school anyways.  Then rushed home after school to go make my first snow angel.  Thankfully school was cancelled the next day!

And now to this year…Arctic Blast 2011!

Tuesday I was supposed to sub, but was awoken early to the sound of sleet banging against my window.  I quickly went back to sleep because for sure they would cancel school…I was right!

Little did I know that Tuesday would turn into Wednesday and then into Thursday and continue on into Friday.

4 days in a row with no school and roads covered with ice and eventually 6 inches of snow on Friday!

Tuesday was full of Cobb playing Betty Crocker and begging us to play games, while instead Kate and I parked our butts on the couch and watched the whole first season of How I Met Your Mother.  I finally ventured out of the house that night to go to Sonic and get my overdue daily Dr. Pepper. 

Wednesday Cobb headed off to work, Kate worked from home, and I stayed on the couch watching Donna Martin graduate and then getting lost in a good book.  Oh and somewhere in there Kate decided the kitchen floor needed a good scrubbing.


Luckily that night our friend Jeni invited us over to hang out.  We brought over taco soup to share.  Then we all took turns playing Just Dance and finished up the night with a game of Mexican Train.

Todd, MJ, Laura, Kate, Cobb, Jeni, and Me

Aren't roommates that dress alike cute??


Thursday I laid around in the morning due to an insane headache and then went over to Jodi’s to do some baking with her and Jill.  We made I watched them make cookies, muffins, chili dogs, and fried pickles!

There was talk that early Friday morning snow would start to fall so being the true Texas gal that I am I set my alarm for 6am so I could get up and check for snow.  And I was not disappointed!

I ran into the living room where a sick Kate was on the couch, threw on my boots, and ran out into the snow in my pajamas…then went back to bed until 9!

The two Texans of the house went out to play while the Baltimore bred stayed on the couch not too entertained with the snow!

Thanks for my hat Bubba!

It cracks me up how Cobb is basically posing the same way she did in the Arctic Blast 2009 pic!

Something about being cooped up for days and being freezing made me hungry for pizza so we all agreed to head out to the ever classy Cici’s and met our friend Lauren.

Roomies watched a movie and took naps in the living room that afternoon.  Then I headed over to Jeni’s again for dinner and more Just Dance!

I still can’t believe everything was shut down for an entire week…and then the next day the sun came out and there were no traces of snow left!  Only in Texas!

I’ve discovered that snow days are fun, but not quite as fun when you’re unemployed.  Then its just like any other day only now there are a lot more options of people to hang out with during the day!

It’s been a long week of being cooped up at home, being lazy, lots of laughter, crazy outfits with a mixture of fun tights and socks, and yummy food!

Looking forward to what Arctic Blast 2012 will be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment