Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A New Chapter


I feel as though I’m constantly wrestling with the Lord over who will control the pen that writes my life.  I love control and I really like the drafts that I come up with, but over and over again I’m made aware of how crappy my chapters are when held up against His version.

In so many ways my life at 29 isn’t at all how I envisioned it…and yet there are many, many ways that God’s version blew mine out of the water. 

I could have never dreamt up living in Indonesia for a year

OR

Being named District Teacher of the Year and consequently walking on the Texas Ranger’s field and shaking Nolan Ryan’s hand

OR

Living in a kick ass house with some of the most amazing girls…some of whom are now my best friends

OR

Being the proud fake aunt to 14 kids…soon to be 18

OR

Getting to take an entire year off from work to travel and do whatever I wanted

OR

Traveling to 5 out of the 7 continents in my 20’s

And that’s just to name a few!

Now it feels as though the Lord is inking up His pen and crafting a new and exciting chapter in my life that I couldn’t have dreamed up even if I tried.

In the Fall I started the process of becoming a foster parent.  Taking care of children has always been a passion of mine.  Then after my time spent in Uganda, my heart began to hurt for orphans and children in need.  I remember holding Richard, a super sick little baby, and crying because he didn’t have a mother to rock him to sleep or hold him while he cried.  All children deserve that…it’s their right.  And yet there are TOO MANY kids in the world and even in my city who don’t have that which we’ve all too often taken for granted.

So as I moved to Houston I had plans to pursue foster care and see what the Lord did.  It’s been a slow process…up until now!

Last night I had my first of ten required classes.  They talked about the timeline in finishing up this process and all of a sudden I could see the end in sight!

If all goes well, there’s a chance that in April or May I could be a foster parent!

When I think about it I feel excited, anxious, nervous, overwhelmed, joyful, hopeful, impatient, scared, silly, inadequate, and filled with love…all at the same time.

Michelle even informed me this weekend that I’m “nesting” because I’ve started getting my spare bedroom ready by moving furniture, cleaning out closets and drawers to make room, and filling the room with all things kid!

I have no idea what this chapter in my life will look like or even how long it will be.  Or what characters will be a part of it.  Or how it will end.  Or how it will lead into the next chapter.  I do know that God has the pen and I’ll wait do my best to wait and see how He writes it.

I mean come on…wouldn’t this girl make a great mom?




1 comment:

  1. Any child would be blessed to have you as a Mom. Praying for God's direction and guidance as you explore this new "chapter" in life.

    ReplyDelete