Monday, May 23, 2011

Free To Breathe 2011


Ever since my dad died I’ve wanted to participate in some sort of walk or race for lung cancer research, but just never knew of one. 

Then my sweet friend, Susan, told me about this organization called Free to Breathe that does exactly that and were having their first race in Dallas on May 21st!

I was so excited and couldn’t wait to finally be a part of something that would honor my dad and go towards helping others not have to endure what my family did.

Several friends and family donated money to our team, “Wayne’s Walker” and we ended up raising $1425!!!

Amy and Cobb had signed up to walk with me and my brother, but things came up at the last minute and they weren’t able to make it.

Clay was also supposed to come up so that we could walk it together, but things didn’t work out for that either.

I got a little bummed thinking that I would have to walk it all by myself, but it turns out I really underestimated some of my friends!

Andrew drove up to Dallas with me on Friday to walk with me.

My bestie Jodi, her husband Andrew, and son Wyatt came out to walk with us too!

And both sets of my Dallas parents walked with me too…Cheryl and Tom Janes and Eddie and Susan Jones.

I was one loved and blessed girl!

There wasn’t much to our walk seeing as how we only did the 1 mile walk, but it was worth it.

It was worth it to know that I’m at a place now in the grief that I can do something like this and remember my dad well.  

It was worth it to be surrounded by special people who love me and know that the Lord continues to lavish His love on me even without my daddy here with me.  

It was worth it to see and hear stories of other people who understand all too well how a heart breaks when you lose someone to lung cancer.

Thanks to these sweet people who supported me on Saturday!

The whole group!

My bestie, Jodi, and I!

 My Dallas moms…Susan and Cheryl!

My little Lovebug sporting his “Wayne’s Walkers” button made by Cobby! (He was not feeling the whole picture taking thing that day!)

Andrew and I

 Sporting my sign for my Daddy!


It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment