Monday, October 18, 2010

The New Girl


I’m officially here!  I landed around 3:00ish and we made it back to the house around 4:30 or so.  I got the tour of the house and met all the other ladies who all seem super nice.

We all had dinner together, had some reflection time where they talked about their day at a clinic, and then we sat around chatting for a hour or so.  Now I’m waiting on the shower and getting excited about sleep!

So much of here reminds me of living in Indonesia.  The neighborhoods are similar, the house is basically the same, its super hot and humid, you have to use bottled water to brush your teeth, you’re surrounded by extreme poverty, driving here is insane because there are no speed limits and no real rules for driving…the major difference is that everyone is black and not just tan like in Indonesian.

I realize there are lots more differences than what I’m seeing upon my initial arrival, but the good thing is that all those things make me feel comfortable here.  I know how to handle those things and I’m used to them.

The thing that is making me uncomfortable is the fact that since I got here late I’m now the “New Girl”!

I hate being the “New Girl”!  The first time I remember this happening to me was in 6th grade.  Almost all incoming 6th graders at Bondy Intermediate came from this one elementary school…and I did not.  We moved so now I was in a new school zone.  I knew no one and it seemed that everywhere I looked everyone had their best friend beside them and was already part of a group…everyone except for me.

The next time I remember this was in May of 2007.  I had been invited to move into this amazing house with 4 other girls in Dallas.  I agreed because it seemed like a great idea at the time.  At the last minute I freaked out though because the four other girls already knew each other and some of them I’d only met twice and here I was again about to be the “New Girl”!

Now here I am again…the “New Girl”!  Everyone has kinda already gotten to know one another and then I show up.  It only makes things worse that when I get into these kinds of situations I tend to be more quiet and reserved until I get more comfortable.

I don’t want something like my silly girl insecurities to stand in my way this week.  I’m going to bed tonight reminding myself of who I am and what He has called me to do.

Tomorrow hopefully the crazy Haston side of me will shine through and everyone will I’m not just the “New Girl’!

1 comment:

  1. I remember when you were the "new girl" at Reed. I am so very thankful that God brought you to teach my son's class. And even more thankful that because of it we are now friends. I cherish you very much, and so will the ladies you are with this week!
    Darla

    ReplyDelete