Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Single Girl Takes Uganda


So today I said good-bye to the Pease family and the bustling city of Mityana to head to the Amani Baby Cottage in Jinja so I could say hello to the 7th bed I will have slept in this month!

Here at the baby cottage breakfast and lunch will be provided for me here at the baby cottage, but I have to take care of dinner myself.  That means I can either go into town and eat at a restaurant (and I’m told there are several great places that serve Muzunggu food…that’s Ugandan for white people) or there is a kitchen here where I’m staying that I can cook for myself.

Now I laughed out loud when I first heard that I would have to take care of dinner myself.  You see even in Dallas my dinner usually consists of Chick Fil A, Mc Donald’s, Chipotle, or a nice ham and cheese sandwich at home.  None of those options are available to me here.

So when our first stop today was in Kampala at a grocery store I froze.  What in the world am I supposed to cook when I don’t know how to cook…and even if I did you can’t get all those same American ingredients in the middle of Africa…and even if you can they’re about triple the price…and what kind of missionary would I be if I spent $6 on cheese???  What is a single girl to do?  Well I’ll tell you…

Here is what I bought today:
1. bread
2. peanut butter
3. Ugandan brand potato chips
4. yogurt
5. butter
6. cheese…don’t worry it only cost me $3…we’ll see if its edible
7.  coke
8.  hair conditioner
9. pasta noodles
10. spaghetti sauce
11.  2 cans of Dr. Pepper…that’s right the Lord has finally heard my cries and answered them!

Can you tell what I plan on eating for the next couple of days…peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches, and maybe spaghetti if I can figure that one out!

I realize how sad it is that I’m 28 years old and that is my grocery list…and would most likely be my grocery list in Texas too.  Well minus the spaghetti ingredients because that would be way too much trouble.

So when I return to Texas I’ll be taking all offers to teach me how to cook…any takers?  I keep praying for a husband, but I’m not sure he’ll be too pleased when he finds out God has chosen me as his wife and sandwiches and drive thrus will be his future!


1 comment: