Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Tradition Continues


Seven years ago Michelle and I rushed out of a New Year’s party with some high school friends, grabbed some booze, and pulled into a random parking lot to ring in the new year together.  We were quite the sight that night with our dancing in the parking lot, falling down whilst trying to throw away our trash, blaring out Mariah Carey’s new “Emancipation of Mimi” album, and shouting obscenities to 2005 because we felt it had screwed us.

That one night sparked a tradition that has carried on through the years with Michelle and I.  Usually we’re not together on the actual night of New Year’s, but this year we were.  So we grabbed my ipod stand, the video camera, a Dr. Pepper for Michelle and headed out to a nearby gazebo to dance, make our annual video, and state our goals for 2012.

This year’s theme though seemed to be “Technical Difficulties.”  We went through two locations, two camera batteries, one failed phone call, and three dvd discs and even still most of the video was either blurry or had bad lighting.

Nonetheless our goals have been stated and recorded, a few bombs were dropped, there was a guest appearance from Daniel in DC, and we have made a pact that no one is to ever watch the video from last night except the two of us.

2011 wasn’t necessarily the best year for my family.  It seemed as though we kept finding ourselves at funerals…and in the family section as well.  Those memories don’t really make you look back on that year with fondness.  To this day, I still cringe whenever I hear people talk about 2008.

So here’s to hoping that 2012 will kick some 2011 ass!  And if tears are to fall, they will be more of the happy kind.

I know for a fact that there are four things that are already helping 2012 accomplish that goal.  Nothing makes my heart happier than babies and I already know of FOUR babies being born this year to some of my sweetest friends.  One of which I get to be a Godmommy to!

So 2012…bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment