Monday, April 11, 2011

You're Never Too Old


On August 25, 2008 a group of kindergarteners walked into my classroom to become the fifth group of Haston’s Hippos.  I always start the year off full of excitement and a little bit of nervousness.  You never quite know what you’re going to get or how the year will go.

Each previous year had been filled with tears, laughter, special moments, the most adorable smiles, lifelong lessons, a few bathroom accidents, and students who weaseled into my heart forever.

However, little did I know that the group that walked into my classroom that August of 2008 would wrangle their way in and cement themselves in the hidden spots of my heart.

That year we bonded partly due to the fact that they were the ones who, unbeknownst to them, helped my heart heal through the grief process. 

They lived almost an entire month without their kindergarten teacher while I was at home losing my dad and never once held it against me.  They behaved like sweethearts for Miss Gove, my student teacher, and Miss Chastain, my dearest friend and all around best substitute ever.  Then they welcomed me back with hugs…and smiles…and cards that said they missed me…and sweet little voices that held my hand and said, “I’m sorry your dad died.”

That year we grew together and as June crept closer and closer we all got a little sad at the thought of saying good-bye and me having to relinquish my control of them onto their first grade teacher.

Little did we all know that God had a far crazier plan in store!

The last week of school I sent a letter home to parents saying that I would be moving up to teach 1st grade for the next school year and they had the choice whether to keep their child in my class or let them choose a different teacher.  It was unanimous…they were all out of their minds and wanted to be hippos for another year!  One parent even checked both boxes
  • We will be attending a different school in the Fall.
  • We would like to have our child stay in Miss Haston’s class.


So we started all over again as Haston’s Hippos just a little taller, with 4 new friends, better handwriting, and in a new classroom.

That was the year that we truly became our own little family.  Everyone’s true colors came out and we learned to love the good, bad, and ugly about each other.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it forever…that class will always hold a most special place in my heart.

With spending two years together you can imagine all the tears and begging to go one more year together that occurred in the Summer of 2010.  Then even more tears flowed when it was announced that not only would I not be looping up with them again, but I wouldn’t even be a teacher at their school anymore.

It’s always hard to watch a class leave and trust that their next teacher will love them as much as me (I have a bit of a control issue).  This time it was excruciating!

Would I see them again?  Would I know what’s going on with them?  Will they still love me?  What happens if the 2nd grade teachers don’t let Edwin go the restroom the first time he asks?  Who will Abe give his morning hugs to each morning?  What if the 2nd grade teachers don’t appreciate it when Kyndra gives them tips on how to be a better teacher?  What if they don’t let Grayson have at least one math book in his book box at all times?  What if Hayden and Jaime don't get in the same class?  Who will remind Emily to take a deep breath when the tears starting coming to her eyes?  Will they appreciate Isabella's sass?

It was hard to let go, but I did it!

And luckily for me I've gotten to go up there and see my kiddos so much more than I ever imagined!

And then the most amazing added bonus…Girl Scouts!

Last year each of us 1st grade teachers had at least one girl in a Girl Scout troop together.  At the end of the year we all got invited to their Bridging to Brownies ceremony.



Then this year they even asked us to help them earn their Dancercize Badge in the Fall.



And when I got back from my Haiti and Uganda travels they were chomping at the bit to learn more about the cultures I’d visited so they could earn their Around The World Badge.



And just when you thought they couldn’t love us anymore…they asked to join them for a tea party so they could earn their Manners badge!



We of course jumped at the opportunity to dress up in fancy dresses, big hats, fur coats, gloves, and pearls galore!

If I remember correctly I was a Brownie in the 2nd grade too, but only went to about two meetings before I decided I wasn’t that much interested and so I quit.  History shows that not only do I have a control problem, but also a problem with following through!

But who says at 28 you can’t still be a Brownie? 

No comments:

Post a Comment