Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Two Years Running


My best friend, Michelle, lives in DC.  It pisses me off a lot because I truly believe that she and I would live a much happier, funnier, and all around better life if we were allowed to live near one another.  However, she married some hotshot doctor who seems hell bent on letting the world know just how freaking smart he is and keeps getting these amazing opportunities all over the US…just nowhere near me.

Luckily we make it a point to see each other a couple of times a year and have even started skyping recently.

Well now it’s going on 2 years that we have spent Memorial Day weekend together.  Last year they were in Texas because her little sis, Andrea, got hitched.  I loved having them close by and of course getting to spend time out on the dance floor with Michelle two out of the three nights!

This year they came in town for a friend’s wedding and unbeknownst to Daniel…a surprise 30th birthday party for him!

I just love Michelle.  They ended up not getting in until really late and we really wanted to see each and selfishly get some just girl time, but everything seemed to be working against us.  Luckily I made it over to where they were staying and hung out with them and their friends for a bit.  Then Michelle walked me to my car and thank the Lord we got about a hour of uninterrupted Michelle/Christy time in my car.  Oh how I needed that!

We had brunch with them on Saturday and enjoyed some relaxing time just catching up and eating a nutritious breakfast at a fun new place.

Then Sunday was the day of the big surprise party.  It was perfect!  He was so surprised and LOVED seeing so many of his friends and especially his family that came in to see him.

It was great because Rachel and her family came and Rachel, Michelle, and I got to be together once again to laugh.  We are an unique trio that dates back to 1995 and just as cool as back then…only way better dressed!

We ended up staying over and hanging out with Michelle and Daniel and their family late into the night Saturday night and again on Sunday morning.

I just love her and I love being a part of her family.  Her dad had recently come back from a trip to Colombia and even let me choose a necklace from the stash he purchased down there.  Even Daniel’s parents now treat me like family.  There is nothing I love more than being a part of people’s families and feeling like I belong and am loved…even when they don’t have to.

Michelle is like my sister and I’m so thankful for these past 2 Memorial Day Weekends that we’ve gotten to see each other! 

Next year on this weekend most likely I’ll be in DC helping them do one of three things…
1. packing up their place for the big move to Palo Alto…home of Ben and Felicity!
2. packing up their place and ALSO rubbing her belly because she may be knocked up with my future niece or nephew
3.  watching them pack up their place whilst I hold my future niece or nephew incessantly for 3 days in a row

There’s talk of them trying to have a baby soon in case you were wondering!

No pressure Michelle!  You know I would love nothing more to add to my bunch of nieces and nephews by one of your own….but am also totally on board with you two holding out until we can have/adopt our babies together!

Looking forward to next summer when the 3 of us "Bondy Girls" will be on a trip somewhere fun celebrating all of our 30th birthdays!!


No comments:

Post a Comment